Tuesday, January 22, 2008

my so called life

Quote of the day: "Your house smell like my grandma's house"- that was said by Emilia's friend about 5 minutes ago! I do have an old house...

Good news of the day: I just sold my first 2 banners on etsy! I was so happy! The other day I was lamenting to myself as I was browsing over all the fun stuff on the site that I would never sell anything!

I am a single mom for the next 3 weeks. I got the kids to school with a hot breakfast and a sack lunch on time- actually 5 minutes early. Can you tell I was very happy to get them out of the house so that I could have some quiet time? But the sad thing is I had no quiet time. Before Rich left, we, that is the 2 of us together, got a puppy. Yes. It is so cute and I (we) are so dumb. But I have it the worst. I get to hear the whining and crying in the wee hours of the morning and anytime that I am home. I really debated about releasing this dog news because I have already put the sweet puppy on craigslist. I have a few people to choose from should I need to be free of it!

Sunday, shortly after Rich left, Paris was playing with the pooch whom she named Rose. She came running to me telling me that she found a worm. On the couch right by the dog! I freaked out. Since I am the only adult present I grab a paper towel, squish the maggot-like worm, and trash it. Immediately all the kids must: de-robe, wash, take anything that might have touched the dog to the laundry. The puppy is promptly put away in the kennel and the kids are prohibited to touch it. I am totally ill. I read everything on parasites. I think that it is roundworm. It can cause blindness in kids. The couch and floors are disinfected. All the kids bedding is bleached. (I list the puppy) In the morning I call the vet and tell her what I saw. She thinks the puppy is too little for tape worms, but it might be a small round worm. She needs a fecal sample and then she will give me meds for just the puppy. I beg and plead and then she says that she'll give me something for Poppet. I still have 4 maybe infected kids. I hate dogs this minute. I hate all animals. A few hours later Brave Atlas gets me the stool sample and we take it to the vet. She calls me about an hour later. The poop is clean! What I say? I saw the maggot like worm! She tells me that the tech and the vet both checked the poop. Nothing. No eggs. No worms. Very clean. So then I become a detective. What was it if it was not a parasite? It was a mere miller moth. A few months ago I had an infestation in my closet. Some stow-aways in my Christmas storage multiplied in the walnuts that I had used for decorations a few years ago. I guess that I still haven't gotten rid of them. I saw a moth on the living room ceiling yesterday night. $25 to know that the puppy is clean.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are a brave woman. Is it bad that I am happy Kalani is allergic so we will never have a dog?

Cammie said...

The puppy is a cute! Poppet will have a friend now.

Megan and Vinny said...

the puppy is so cute! the whining phase will end and you will be left with this darling little love bundle...

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

Oh my goodness i stumbled upon your blog, looking for liz's. David and I were talking about you a few days ago. I just spent toooo long reading your blog. ( not really long, i just should be doing laundry) he-he. your kids are darling and it was fun to read of all you families happenings, i cant believe your baby is 4. time flys cause ours is too. keep in touch !

your new puppy is so cute

charles said...

Bridget, you are a brave one. Despite your fierce front, you will always have a soft spot for homeless animals.

Michelle said...

Those damn moths! We had an infestation over the summer and fall and they are disgustin! I never grew up with pets but love dogs just not enough to own one- Dev on the other hand has promised Rose that we will have one when we own our own home, now he's wondering why he ever made that promise, animals are a lot of work! Glad to know the pup is ok!

charles said...

and i don't think your house smells like a grandma's.


our house smells like someone's been cooking fish in the kitchen although p never smells it. and we never cook fish.

Brynn said...

that is disgusting! I'd freak out too! We once had a ladybug infestation. It wasn't cute - they can bite.