Sunday, January 27, 2008

Boeuf aux Carottes


I have been obsessing about French food lately. Maybe because this time last year I was in France? And I wish that I was there- or at least somewhere other then here. Anyways, my latest cookbook acquisitions have been all in French cooking. I have been pouring over all the recipes and pictures. It all looks so yummy. Not just tarte tatin and creme bruille but cabbage galette and beef! I actually bought red meat for the first time in my life last week! I purchased filet mignon. I had never cooked beef. Never! So my first recipe to try was steak au frittes. It was o.k, but not like I had imagined. I cut the meat very thin and fried it in butter and herbs and Atlas and Leif really liked it, but me and the girls didn't. Poppet had a feast with the leftovers- we have been teaching him to crawl. I cooked the rest of the meat today and made boeuf aux carottes. Since my kids don't love cooked carrots I added potatoes. It was a hit with all but Emilia- though she loved the potatoes. Everything just melted in the mouth... My next recipe will be a cabbage galette. It looks so good. It has a crust on the top and bottom. Of course when I make it I'll post pictures.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It must be the cold bringing on the beef buying and France dreaming. Those potatoes look so good right now.

Cammie said...

Wow, you have really done some fancy foods! Like I always say, your kids are so lucky to have such a fabulous mother and gourmet chef!

I can't believe all of the wonderful food you have cooked over the years. . . but I really can because you are wonderful. I love dinners at your house.

Cammie said...

ps. we just made you a Birthday CD and I'm sending it today!!!

Bridget said...

I can't wait. Rich is going to make me one too!

charles said...

beef-eater!

Peter has been encouraging me (slightly) to eat meat. He won't eat it, but he thinks I possibly should. Maybe I will tomorrow! It's been sooooooo long.

Anything cabbage-related sounds delicious to me! Pass-along that cabbage galette recipe, please.
xoxo

Michelle said...

Wow- that looks so wonderful, anything cooked in butter is so wonderful!

Brynn said...

Oh I love French food too! French toast, french fries, and my favorite - french onion soup.