Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Getting out of the House

I had to work on Monday from before the sun rose (I got up at 4:10) and didn't get home until after 7 in the evening. I did hair and make-up for a photo shoot at Sundance. It was so beautiful up there that I decided to take the kids up the next day. We rode the chair lift up and hiked down.I always love when they line up by age... Paris was the champion. No one complained, but this time she never asked to be held nor did she tell me she was tired. It was so beautiful. We picnicked at the top and then headed down. It took us about 3 hours and we trudged through rivers and waterfalls and saw so many beautiful wildflowers and caterpillars and butterflies. Here is a giant cocoon we found. It is as big, if not bigger than my fist!Some parts of the trail had so many caterpillars that one could not help but step on them! Sometimes it sounded like it was starting to rain, but it was really caterpillars falling from the trees. I totally recommend going up there just bring twice as much water. The lift was $8 for an adult and 6 (maybe) for kids- 6- 12. Mine had passes from snowboarding so I am not really sure. I am going to take my sister when she comes next week but this next time we will hike to Stewart falls and then return to the top and take the lift down... Here the kids have just gotten down the mountain. Atlas went ahead because he was mad I would not let him swim in the beaver made ponds.
And an awesome granola recipe (Hiking=Granola):
4 cups of grain flakes (oatmeal, wheat, whatever)
1 cup of slices almonds
2Tbs butter
1/4 c flour
2Tbs sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
Bake flakes and almonds for 10 min on 350. Combine butter, flour, sugar, salt and add toasted flakes and almonds. Combine maple, vanilla and almond extract. Mix all. Pour on buttered cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
p.s. Summer isn't going to last very long... I took this picture of a scrub oak yesterday!

7 comments:

charles said...

Oh my dreamboats! You guys are so awesome! I love that lift! It's so scary and fun and beautiful.

charles said...

And I love Paris' sunglasses.

Midge said...

Thanks for the granola recipe, it sounds yummy. That hike looks awesome, your kids are so cute.

Cammie said...

That all looks so lovely and I wish I could have come with you.

And thanks for the recipe!

Megan and Vinny said...

Bridget- this is Vinny Disanza. I need you to call me when you can. I need to point something out to you. I don't have your email so I used your blog! Vinny- 951-970-8159

BirdieMann said...

I just got your famous granola recipe from Andrea last week! I used to get some all the time when Nikki worked for you and lived with me. Yum and thank you. =)

Elizabeth said...

WHat great photos. I love summertime there!