Monday, December 10, 2007

Why I shouldn't have a dog


We have a dog. Over the past 5 years we have had 4 dogs. Our first one was a beautiful Weimaraner. We adopted him from a shelter. He was big and very smart. About a week into having him we were finally getting used to being dog owners. We liked him. On Christmas Eve Richard took him for a run. They had already been out earlier in the day, but Rich thought that it would help Sirius sleep and be more settled through the night. About a half hour into their outing, I got a call from a very distressed Richard. He was crying and my heart stopped. I thought that they both got hit by a car. It turned out that that was not the case. Richard took the dog across the street to run some stairs in the 6 level parking structure. He let Sirius off the leash. At the top, Sirius began to run really fast and Richard called to him. The dog stopped, looked at him, then took off, jumping over the 4” wall at the top of the building. We buried him in our frozen flower garden the next morning. Our second dog was another Weimaraner. She was also from a shelter. We had her about a week too. She didn’t like kids. One night we had some friends and their kids over and as the kids were screaming and chasing each other. The dog flattened one kid and scratched his back with her teeth. We returned the her to the shelter. Our third was a beautiful chocolate lab. We got her as a puppy in a parking lot right before Easter. She grew huge quite fast. As we live downtown, she was taken the few times she got out by “nice” dog people. We would put up signs and get calls (she did have a collar and a tag!). It was very annoying. Once a nice guy had her for over a week! About the start of summer, she was big, had no manners and no kids would play in our back yard. Not even mine! She disappeared one day and that was that. We didn’t even put up signs! We got our latest dog two years ago. Poppet is a Papillon- a circus dog from France. Papillons are about 7-11 pounds. Our papillon is not fat at 20 pounds and about twice the size of what I thought he would be! He is giant! We tried to get a little dog. Poppet is bad. Very bad. We have had him since he was 6 weeks old. We have loved him. We have castrated him. We have taken him to dog training. At the training, as I was paying attention, learning how to handle and train dogs, he would pee on me! He barks and is very obnoxious. He growls at Paris. He has bitten Paris- he hasn’t ever broken the skin, but he has made her cry. He has bitten Leif. Twice now as Leif has been reading in a stuffed chair, Poppet has come up to cuddle him. When Leif tried to pet him, Poppet bit him! Richard, who has never gone to Dog training, has gotten bitten 3 times by the wretched beast. It is always when he is mad at the dog and trying to catch him. Though once he got bitten feeding him! Now as the weather is turning colder, we aren’t taking him on as many walks and the other day he pooped two times in the attic (he hasn’t done that since he was potty training almost 2 years ago)! I am glad we have wood floors! The beastly little dog sheds. He sheds like it is summer every day! I used to like animals. When I was little I would bring home kittens and dogs all the time- my poor mom! She let me keep them all! Now I threaten to put Poppet on craigslist all the time!

A poem inspired by Shell Silverstein:
One dog for sale
one dog for sale
one barking, barfing, biting dog for sale
Do I hear a dollar, a dime, a nickel?
Is there anyone who would want this mean dog?
Who was raised with 4 nice kids
Is there anyone who would want this pompous pooch?

Richard thinks we should get a Chihuahua. I think we should not have pets! But then we have decent days where I am glad that we have a dog for the kids to love and to play with. If we didn’t have him, I would want one for sentimental reasons. We have tried a few breeds and I think that not one is perfect. Shouldn’t kids grow up with a dog? Although if something happens to Poppet I will not replace him! Last year he was attacked by coyotes! Richard was about 10 feet away and saved him! He would have been the pack's dessert! Oh well! Now he is my bane!

6 comments:

charles said...

The only dog I think is cute is a maltese. Peter and I have decided that we don't like dogs (with their sniffing, shedding and pooping), and we will never have a house pet!

Though, someday we really want pygmi goats and mini horses outside.

Cammie said...

I don't want an indoor pet either. I think Glasgow city life has helped me to that conclusion. People have dogs in their apartments and take them out to poop and foul the streets and grass. I'm sure most people clean up after their dogs in the street but it just takes a few to really disgust me throughout the day. And yes, Soren has stepped in the horrible stuff and I have rolled over it with the stroller.

I really get so disgusted with dog poop in the streets. In fact, sometimes I think people shouldn't mix dogs and city life.

Bridget said...

Help! I thought that both of you would be asking for Poppet for Christmas! Bah humbug! How in the world did I end up with a house dog? It is the snow here! I guess that means that if we keep Poppet for another 2 years we had better skidaddle!

Brynn said...

Bridget your post is cracking me up! And I can't believe all the horrible things that have happened to your dogs (or to you by your dogs!). We have found pet heaven (not the place they go when they die) with a bunny. She's a mini-rex (she thinks she's a dinosaur) and truly the softest thing I've ever felt. She's quiet and only poops in little round balls. Lots and lots of little round balls.

Bridget said...

Sometime I'll tell you about our bunny experience...but it was mixed with a dog!

Cammie said...

PS. I'm so sorry about that story of Richard and the dog jumping off the parking lot! That is so sad and tragic.