Monday, December 1, 2008

Reaching Limits

So I have finally reached my limit and now wonder if I can do anything at all! I have panic attacks a few times a day (not really but sort of). It will all be over in three weeks!
Richard and I finally went out for real this past weekend. A friend and fellow student was having a party and as I have been anti-social I made Richard get out and go with me. We had a really great time. The kids were left at home in their beds. I locked the door and told Atlas that the key was on the ground by it- we have only one exit here- the door and just wanted him to know. We got home around 2 am. On the late side for me and I thought that with it being Saturday I could sleep in and would have a nice day reading and reviewing. We got into our building and up the stairs to our door and found that the key on the other side was in the lock. Our key would not go in because the lock was turned a little bit. We called on the cell phone the house phone and to our other cell phone in the house. I could hear the phones ringing. Nothing. Richard went down the stairs and buzzed. I could hear it, but no answer. We knocked and rang and buzzed. Nothing. Richard threw newspaper at the windows. I heard it thump clearly on the other side of the door. No response. Richard tried to scale the building in the frosty night, but couldn't get passed the lintel and I was afraid that he would fall and impale himself on the iron work. We played with the lock a bit and at one point I heard the kids moaning in their sleep and yes I ran down and buzzed the door. Our cell phone battery died sometime after continuous calling. In the end Richard and I tried to sleep on the carpet in front of our door. Atlas finally awoke at 7 in the morning and let us in! We were so cold and so tired. I think that I am too old to lose a whole night of sleep (and precious study time). The kids did let us sleep for a while- I think they were afraid to wake us. Two cold miserable and very irritable parents. It will be a long time before I go out and stay out late again...This it the stairwell of the flat where the party was. Little did we know that we would be spending the night in one. We were locked out because of this little imp.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Hi everyone. What a hilarious and sad story. I miss you all so much and wish I could have been there to babysit. Hang in there with school. I know you will but as someone on the outside I wanted to say that you are amazing and doing great. Bigs hugs and lots of kisses for everyone.
Chris

Unknown said...

I would have been more than a little irritated! You are such good parents to not have killed them. :) Funny how we take for granted the ability to get out and spend time alone with each other. Not anymore. Just think in a few weeks, you will be finished and life will be easy and enjoyable for a few more weeks. Don't worry, you'll do great.

charles said...

Yeah, I can't believe that story. It is so funny and sad at the same time.

Your children are comatose sleepers....especially Atlas!

and Bird--3 more weeks of schoolio! wahoo!

Francie Bragg said...

Oh my Gosh Bridget, how sad! At least your kids slept well! We miss you tons!!!

lucy said...

lol, thanks for the laugh. Serves you right for partying until 2a.m. nah jk. I just took a look at your blog (linked from the Cutri's) and really enjoyed it . I'm also a little hungry looking at all your dishes. I was surprised/amazed that you're in law school....in Europe. How adventurous and good for you! BTW, it's your old neighbor nancy Ericson

joan said...

What an adventure for your all. This sounds so familiar. I think it was Liz in a hotel room in Paris. We even tried the room phone. One time we did the sleep on the floor bit but that was part of another story. Love being a parent, love hearing about you doing the same things.
For the panic attack, take a yoga break and make the kids do it with you!!! You are going to do just fine.

Ramona said...

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but oh it is funny to read about! Just goes to show you how safe and secure your kids are--not a care in the world to wake them! Oh, I send you all of my good luck and prayers for your exams. Remember that grad school, law school, whatever is really just an endurance test. You can do it!!

Shauna said...

What a funny story to have and a hard way to come about it. Ouch, that carpet couldn't have been very squishy.

Jenny said...

Hang in there - you are goning to kill on your exams!