Thursday, November 6, 2008

Seeing Pounds


I love pounds- not the few extra that make me womanly, but the little, smaller than a quarter, gold coins that we use here as currency. I love that they are heavy in my purse and that they jingle in my pocket. I love that they are so easy to spend and get back. I trade a funny bill and get groceries and lots of lovely gold coins in return. The smallest denomination in a bill is a fiver (a five pound note). There is a 2 pound coin, but it isn't as common. So every time I buy something I use lots of coins. I love them. A pound can buy a kilo of bananas, or 5 big tangerines, a cupa tea or black coffee, 2 packs of gum or a box of fabulous chocolate digestive biscuits. A pound can get me to school on the bus. I have made it a point to not think that a kilo of pasta here is a pound and is 69 cents for a pound of pasta in the states- that means that pasta here is like three times more! But still I love pounds. Someday I would love to not have any extra pounds on my person, but then I really love the chocolate digestive biscuits.
Here are a few pictures:
Being American and playing baseball in the park
The kids had three first days of school- this isn't one of them, but it is what they may have looked like on their third first day of school...
ps
Richard left the house today with just one pound coin and came home with nine... it is magic!

7 comments:

paigemoe said...

You are so funny. Love the pic of you with pounds on your face - hahaha - sounds so funny. How is school?

Shauna said...

I've never seen anyone look so lovely with coins on their eyes.

The Anna and Rose Team said...

Hi Bridget,

Just found your blog, so glad I did. How are you? I think of you all them time and I am so jaleous but I am so happy for you. Last night Audrey Stilson got married. Guess who was missing at the part? You guys, I thought about you all night.

Have a happy day!

Talita
annaandrose.blogspot.com

Cammie said...

don't forget a loaf of bread, an ice cream cone, and there's the pound store. . . :o)

charles said...

or a bag of roasted, salted macadamia nuts from sainsburys!

Elizabeth said...

The kids look so cute off to school. I can picture your clan hurrying down the road to school.

theleguis said...

i freakin love your family! i can't wait til fede gets home and I can show him wha tyou guys are up to. such adventures. how's school going by the way?