Thursday, February 3, 2011

Do you have a bike?

In Jr. High dumb boys would ask that to anyone on the bus. I had a bike but I knew better than to answer.

I didn't have a bike for a long time. Then I bought a gorgeous traditional british bike in New Castle. It was step through, black, 6 speeds and very elegant and simple. I got Richard to make the drive with me. It was a long day and we saw Hadrian's wall. I hardly rode the bike due to bad weather, but when I did ride it I loved it. I was sad to sell it when we moved. However, I have been riding a bike since September and am LOVING it. When I ride I think, "I'm on a bike"...Think Andy Sanberg singing "I'm on a boat"... Hopefully you get the picture. I love my bike. It is my second- still a Townie Electra, but this one is cream and it has a million speeds. I use 3. The color is better than my last one and almost everyday I get compliments on it. It is like having a baby as an accessory again. When I had my babies I was always complimented on their cuteness. I missed it. Now with my bike they are coming back.

Today during my ride through the park (Golden Gate Park) to school I was thinking of all the funny things I see everyday when I ride- exotic dogs, incredibly indescribable people, other bikes (yesterday a lowrider passed me- the bike was low and trimmed in gold. On the back it had a spare tire also trimmed and spoked in gold- I really wish I had a camera around my neck to take a quick photo) and then I saw a man running backwards. Jogging backwards. I started to laugh. Then I saw another man waiting for a park shuttle. He was wearing a knee length skirt, had a baby carrier/carseat, a mesh shirt and the darkest, hairiest beard for a man wearing a skirt and holding a baby carrier. I smiled. He smiled. He complimented me on my bike. OK no he didn't compliment my bike, but my smile- too many funny thoughts and it was a funny moment. It could only happen riding a bike.

2 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

We had Electras when we came here, but they were only 3-speeds and couldn't handle even the wee hills in Glasgow. So, we sold them. We also had racing cycles ... but sold those as well, when we realized that 1) we weren't riding them, and 2) it took as long to get kitted out (clip-in bike shoes, riding pants, clothes to change in, helmet, lights) and to change on the other end as it did just to walk to school.

So - no more bikes for us. Maybe at our next stop....

Yours is beautiful. :)

charles said...

That makes me miss riding my bike even more!!! Another reason why I miss the Netherlands (actually, the main reason I miss the Netherlands)....

Your bike is rad.

why did the dumb boys ask you that?