Friday, January 22, 2010

Rip my heart out!


Moving is so hard and we KNOW that we will be moving in a few months. Like usual, the three youngest are fine. Paris still talks about her best friend in Provo who she hasn't seen or heard from in a year and a half. Emilia is pragmatic as always and Leif is chill as always. Atlas doesn't want to go. He is doing great in school (they all are). He would be in all the highest classes next year. His teachers, for the most part, like him. He knows all the ropes here. And he doesn't even want to go anywhere for spring break! He just wants to stay! Here in grey Glasgow!
I attended parent-teacher night and every teacher was talking about "standards" the higher classes that count for exams and university. All were recruiting him. On our walk home, Atlas was telling me the classes that he wants to take next year- like we are staying. I let it ride. But it was weird and a bit surreal with both of us knowing that there is NO way we are staying. Just as we got to the flat Atlas asked me where we will be next year... I don't know! but his 2 cents is that is should be in a city and preferably in NYC. Ha Ha Ha. I am over cities and the cold! So I say now... perhaps I just need a few weeks on a hot and sunny beach doing nothing and having nothing to do. Then I'll be up for anything. And I think I remember saying earlier today to Rich that I am ready for Paris in a few years!

And I baked (over the past few weeks) 4 different cupcake recipes from the cookbook and they all turned out fantastic. Vegetable base really works- even when I am sure it won't turn out! So if I know you are coming- I'll bake a cake. 5 months remaining. And no I am not counting down...

6 comments:

joan said...

Atlas always has so many pulling him to stay in any place he lives. If he doesn't turn out to be a Rhodes Scholar he will be a movie star with a mighty fan club.

Elizabeth said...

Come sit on my beach with me! Miss you all so much!
If you are doing another vacation you should go stay with Sabina Egers family in their barnhouse in their litle German town. They have kids all the same ages as yours and they are great hosts.

charles said...

Oh Sweet Atlas. He can come and live with us if he wants city life!!!! P.S. I'm serious.

Cammie said...

That must be so hard. Soren doesn't quite grasp what is about to happen but it already makes me sad to think about it.

Giandrea said...

I moved so much growing up. I HATED it. Later in life I learned to appreciate what it game me.
... I'm getting ready to have a home.
But maybe I'll get stir crazy when it happens.

Shauna said...

When Bruno was 7 years old he decided he didn't want to travel anymore. It seems like children get to an age and they like to have a say in where they live.
I have a feeling you guys will be happy wherever you are.

Happy Birthday Bridget!
The firecrackers are awesome