Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A new year!


I am truly obsessed with food. Just because I don't post pictures or blog much anymore (period) it doesn't mean I have stopped. I still cook all the meals and (usually) love it. I read cookbooks as my de-stresser and scour the shops for random ingredients to try a new recipe. For a while now I've thought that I am gluten intolerant. I could get diagnosed (or not) with a simple blood test- but for now I am glad that I HAVE to eat sweet potatoes and brown rice for lunch or make quinoa salad with broccoli and avocado and really limit my eating of bread. I feel so much better when I do. I have read every blog on being gluten free and have discovered a few "new" flours. On Saturday Richard and I went shopping to try and find them. We found a lot of flours at one of the Asian markets. None were in English, so I guessed on what I wanted. When I got home I discovered that I got water chestnut flour, some weird bean flour, and then a chickpea and rice flour combo. I made raspberry jam bars and tried the bean flour as my only substitution. When I opened the bag I really liked the feel of the flour. It smelled a little different, but had a lovely creamy color and nice feel. I put it in and mixed it up. Paris was my "helper" and nibbled the batter and liked it. That was a good sign. I made the bars and put it in the oven. I tasted the batter and thought I would puke. The taste on my tongue was so awful! I then had Rich try it. He felt the same... After the bars had baked and cooled all the kids had a nibble and no one complained... I could not bring myself to try it. I will give it to them for breakfast but I'll wait for the kids to give their opinions after eating a whole slice before I try it and even then maybe I'll skip it. I think my tongue still tingles... I'll try the rice and chickpea flour combo next. And I did throw the bean flour away...

My newest cookbook purchase is called "Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache" by Harry Eastwood and all the desserts- mostly cakes, are made with a vegetable base and a rice or almond flour... no gluten and I didn't even realise it when I bought it! I'll make a cake from it this weekend. Swede? A lot of butternut squash and zucchini? Sounds interesting... and no bean flour!

5 comments:

Bob and Joan said...

Bridget, It looks wonderful and I would be willing to give it a try. Of course after 15 months in chennai India, I'm ready to try anything! Bob

Megan and Vinny said...

so fun! there is a blog that i have on my blog (crockpot365.blogspot.com) where everything is done in (duh!) the crockpot. however, my point is this - they don't use gluten. she may have some great alternatives for you to try.

have fun! and love you!

Bridget said...

The bars turned out just fine! I could detect a slight after taste and Richard would not touch them, but the kids loved them and they have quite discerning taste buds and can pick up unusual ingredients and no one complained. But the flour remains in the trash!

BirdieMann said...

Hey it was really great seeing you a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I get to keep in touch and peek in on your life through the blogosphere!

charles said...

and happy birthday to you!