Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Camping


No summer is complete without a camp out. I love to camp. I grew up camping with my dad and sister Cammie. While the kids were finishing up school and I was trying to play the uke, every day was cold, windy and cloudy. I need sun. I love the sun. So after searching for deals, I booked a "free" flight to Sardinia. I didn't want it to cost a fortune- the hotels weren't being compliant, so Cammie came over and practised her Italian and made a few phone calls for me about getting camp spaces. The first phone call was a wrong number- it should have been a camping place but was a residence. What did Cammie do? She didn't hang up like I might have. She asked the guy where a good camping place was. He asked his friend and then recommended a place. We googled it and then called- the place didn't have a website, but the camp manager sounded really nice on the phone and said there were always spaces for tents- no reservations needed or taken!. That was enough for me. I found a tent and sleeping bags super cheap and best of all they fit in our carry-on bags! I took Atlas and Emilia and for 5 blissful, warm and quiet days (I don't speak Italian) we camped on the beach. The camp place was great- low key with families and couples and grandparents and we were the only Americans- maybe in all of Sardinia. Atlas was thrilled to see wild flamingos. The water was crystal clear and snorkelling great. We got a little too much sun and the ground was hard but it was just perfect.

10 comments:

charles said...

Ah, sun! Sand! Flamingoes!--and the best-looking trio in the mediterranean!

You are the most awesome mama! Can't wait til our little reunion!

Bob and Joan said...

Bridget, What a great trip. I am so jealous. Oh to be in the water. Here we are just a few miles from the Bay of Bengal but you can't go near the water because of all the pollution. You and your children look great. You're awesome! Bob

The Lingo Family said...

Looks Wonderful!!

Elizabeth said...

I love that you hopped a plane to go camping. What memories your kids will have!

Chris said...

So much fun! I love you all and miss you so much. I can't stop thinking about Turkey.

Cammie said...

I was just thinking about your trip to Turkey too! You have been so many amazing places. I heart Italy!!!

Megan and Vinny said...

how yummy!!!

megan

mmattin said...

How thrilling! I love reading about your adventures.

Ingrid said...

It is so great to see what you are up to! It is nice that, when I wonder, "What are the McKinleys up to?" I can just look at your blog and there is the answer to my curiosity! Enjoy all these amazing opportunities! My kids see the posts and can only say, "Lucky!"

theleguis said...

what amazing adventures. you are the coolest family i know!