Monday, July 28, 2008

my bug collection


A few days ago Leif and his best friend came racing into the kitchen to find me and excitedly told me they found the coolest thing for me. Hum, was it a bug? I have a little collection of dead bugs that the kids have found as well as some very interesting photos we have taken of living ones... It started in Vista when one of the kids brought me this giant dead butterfly and I put it in a frame. They later found a very large alligator lizard and it too was put in a frame. My latest acquisition was a 3" beetle that the kids found at my sister's house and it is now in a little box waiting for the right frame. I am not morbid at all. It is just that the kids have found some very interesting things. Some I have embraced and others I have shunned... well, the to answer the bug question, insect it was not. I asked if it was dead. That it was. Did they kill it? (a total no no) but not to worry it already was deceased. His cute little fried gave me a wrapped paper towel. Inside it was a newly hatched, newly dead bird. It had been found on the neighbor's porch. Horrified and totally grossed out I told them to burry it. Did they think I would frame it! Maybe because they know that I like birds and growing up "Bird" was my nickname... Yikes, what do the kids think of me? And that is the second baby bird those two have brought to me!

3 comments:

Cammie said...

Oh, that is so sad. Poor little bird. Was there a nest nearby that they fell from?

Bridget said...

Who knows! The bird before was in the spring. The current one was alone on a porch already deceased.

charles said...

i like your bug collection.

that is so sad about the baby bird! i hate stuff like that--baby animals deserve a chance.

remember when there was a nest in one of our garden plots back in fallbrook? we touched the baby birds! i hope their mother didn't complete reject them because of us.