Saturday, September 29, 2007

Passport delays? NO WAY!

What ever the problem was a few months ago with crazy delays and such, the government has fixed. We applied for passports for Rich and me and the the two youngest. Today, exactly 2 weeks to the day later, the kids’ passports arrived! That was fast! They told us 8 weeks. I love that.

This is a modern autumn fairy

I really can't believe that it has been about three weeks since I last posted. It has been a psyco 3 weeks. For one of the weeks I was terribly busy with Book group hosting, the school festival and an autumn party for the kids- all in a row- Thursday, Friday and Saturday and Rich was gone that week. Also, I think we had A Peeping Tom that week too! And if that wasn't enough because of a sad situation at book group at my house, I decided to quit- unannounced as yet to the groupies. It has taken me a week to come off that stressful ride. And when I did, Sunday morning I heard about another story of infidelity! That makes 7, a lot of them connected. It is hard to have a conversation that doesn't include the sad topic or someone who hasn't been touched by it. Emotionally we all have! Back in BYU I had a religion teacher who's brother had just moved to a new state and was instantly called to be a bishop. In that same month he had to ex his stake president who happened to be in his ward due to infidelity, and had to recomend a new one. His brother, my teacher said, took a copy of the ward list and ended up blacking out almost all of the names. I feel that way too! I so need to make new friends! My mom once told me that raising kids was a lonely time, I didn't really get it until now!

Watch out Sanjaya! A new do from the Fall Festival!

On to a more positive note, I got a piano!!! I love it! It is an old upright and it sounds great- though I still need to have it tuned. It is so fun hearing Rich and Leif pick out tunes on it. Rich will ask me what song to play and I have a hard time coming up with new ones. He is really good! It is so homey!



Last night we had two extra kids sleep over and as I am obsessive about food, I had decided early on in the week to make french toast for today. On a side note, I get a little posessive about my maple syrup it being expensive and the kids wasting so much of it and they always ask for more.... So I made a buttermilk syrup that I had tasted a few years ago. I got the recipe but had never made it. Now I had an excuse. It was great. So easy and quick. My mom would make a syrup sometimes when I was little and it seemed to take forever. This one was done in five minutes! I put it in a pitcher and the kids drenched their toast and I didn't care! Everyone loved it!

Buttermilk Syrup
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil - except for the vanilla extract. Allow to boil gently for at least five minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the vanilla. 15 servings

10 comments:

charles said...

lots of news. that one story is very sad! why are those weirdo people in their 30s so lame? seriously weirdos, get a life! it's like a pathetic episode of a pathetic 80s-90s housewives show.
did they all of a sudden wake up and realize that they weren't going to be rock stars, so they started getting itchy pants to spice up their lives? that makes me so mad. and it's soooo cliche.

peter and i have no friends here. seriously.

also, i know what you mean about being posessive with maple syrup...i am that way (with syrup-drenching little children), too.

your modern fairy is a delight!

we want a piano like your's.

i made your oatmeal cookies from a couple of posts ago.

buttery, buttery
yummy delish!

give me some cookies--
grant me my wish!

love,
me

charles said...

i can't believe how cute little leify is. i mean, i can. soooo adorable.

Cammie said...

Love LOVE LOVE THE PHOTOS! I'm so excited that the passports came.

. . . and I have to try that syrup. Sounds so fun. I wish you were living right next door to me.

What is that video?

Jason said...

Scary peeping tom!! Did you call the police?

Jason said...

Sorry, this is me, cammie. I'm signed in under J-Dawg. Ha ha.

charles said...

niki said they had a peeping tom back when they lived there, too.

get him! or i will. provo's got some scary dudes. if anyone harrassed you or the babes i'd karate-chop the town apart.

Elizabeth said...

I am sorry for all the sadness and peeping tom's. Oh No.
I have made your oatmeal cookies like 6 times already. So good. I am so glad you shared. My recipe wasn't cutting it.
I always make the kids strawberry syrup so i don't have to share my maple. I will have to try your recipe.
I miss you all!

Elizabeth said...

Oh and Kalani plays Rock Me Mama on his guitar and sings while we dance around before bed. Love it.

Bridget said...

Poppet has shown himself to be a good guard dog. He was ready to eat through the door that night. I tried to settle him, then listened in the hall with the lights out. I heard the gate click and then got sick! I have since made sure that all the windows are covered once its starts to get dark and that was when Rich was gone-

steph said...

sorry to hear that you're leaving book group after all these years. Come back any time.