Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy New Year!


The month of December was harsh. The weather was fabulous and the bike riding even better. But with exams and all that comes with them (stress and anxiety) I was consumed. After the lovely family visits, holidays that I wasn't quite prepared for, a disappointed birthday boy (Atlas), our millionth anniversary, and more family visits, we are exhausted.

This is Leif. He just started to brush his hair again. Sometimes I am not quite sure that he really does...

January is however, looking good. I have some exam results- all good, even an excellent, and the semester usually starts slow. I need the time to get back in to school mode, and of course my break wasn't long enough. I could use another week. However, this is my last semester... I am almost finished and at this moment I NEVER want to go back. Jamais. PHD? no thanks! My collection of degrees is on hold after this indefinitely.

And after a 2 year hiatus, I finally have plants again. I got a blood red orange tree for Christmas. Also, I am starting a movement called "free gardening". Gorilla gardening is in the past. I have been collecting seed heads from plants that I pass and taking small clippings from plants that propagate easily: geraniums, hydrangeas, succulents, trumpet flowers, etc. The hydrangeas clippings were retrieved from a pile slated for composting. Just looking at the plants makes me happier. I miss my old garden. To the new year!
(view from my dentist appt)
(teacher gifts)

3 comments:

charles said...

i love those photos. and i miss you! when are you going to send me one of your children?

give atlas my love--over and over again! i can't believe how old he is now!

David T. Macknet said...

Alas, can you ever be "finished" unless you have a PhD? ::snicker::

Glad you're almost done. I've got about 9 months left, plus whatever time "corrections" takes, and then ... well, on to something else. Dunno where, but working towards it not being in the US, but somewhere WARM!

Cammie said...

I'm so happy for you!

Leif is awesome.