Wednesday, February 18, 2009

buses

I really like public transportation. here. I get really stressed driving. Not the least of my worries is that there are no parking spaces and of course the whole driving on the "wrong side of the road", the car is stinky (I could keep going)... We have a bus stop at the bottom of our street. If we are running a bit late the bus is great. We even force our children to take the bus. Sometimes just the kids alone. This past week was mid-term break for the kids, but not for me. So we signed the kids up for camp- they had to take the bus to the camp and home. It is about 2-3 miles from our flat. They thought the bus was torture and didn't want to wear their tennis clothes on the bus- so embarrassed etc. ( I honestly can't believe that they are mine sometimes- all that vanity has to come from Rich) It reminded me of when I was young and would have given a whole lot to be able to ride the city bus. I once snuck with my best friend to town- we got a ride from her neighbor and then took the bus home. As we were waiting for the bus in town, some acquaintance of my mom's saw us and called and told my mom. I was 12ish. Anyways I got in a ton of trouble- for taking the bus. It still makes me mad. Cammie and I would bike for miles and miles and for hours and hours on country roads. We had no way of calling, and my mom didn't seem to mind us being gone, but when it came to the bus incident I was put on "restriction" for weeks. And now I make my kids ride the city bus. I sure showed her!

And this summer, when I have nothing to do, I am going to finally start my book. The title will be "Living With Lice: A mother's account of city life in Glasgow".

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

you are mighty dedicated to your darlings lovely locks
i think i would have buzzed them all.

The Lingo Family said...

Hey There -
This is Angie Kindred, just think your blog is really cute.
Your family is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

charles said...

I would have buzzed their heads, too!

That photo of Leif is adorable.

Bridget said...

I really did conquer lice, but I have heard tales of others having to battle it a few times and buzzing hair doesn't stop the lice... And yes, I do prefer long hair- especially on boys.

Unknown said...

I love the title of your books. It made me LOL. When I was a kid, my sisters both got lice, but the rest of us were spared. You can sign me up for a personalized copy of your book. I can't wait!

Cammie said...

hilarious! i miss those bike rides. . . i now know (after living in the city) that i want to live in a place similar to where we grew up.

KarenM said...

That's funny. Can't wait to read the book

Giandrea said...

ever since i read your lice horror story my head keeps itching. i swore this whole last week taht i had the dreaded bug. i must have checked twice a day but luckily no... the mind games!